As discussed on the last Virt SIG meeting I promised to do some libvirt + libxl testing using the latest Xen 4.4 rpms.
First I verified the “baseline” setup using xm/xend and libvirt:
– Install new PV domUs using virt-install, using LVM volumes.
– Install new PV domUs using virt-install, using file images (tap2).
– Install new PV domUs using virt-manager, using LVM volumes.
– Install new PV domUs using virt-manager, using file images (tap2).
And all that worked OK with xend, as we already know. “tap2” backend was now automatically chosen for file images etc, all good.
Next I tried the same with xl/libxl. So I disabled xend with “chkconfig xend off”, rebooted the server, and after the reboot verified xend is not running anymore.
And then I did the same PV domU installation tests as above.. and to my surprise it all worked out-of-the-box !
libvirt 1.2.10 seems to be happy with libxl aswell! Both virt-install and virt-manager worked OK for me for installing new guests, and also for the basic lifecycle operations.
One difference compared to our earlier libvirt 0.x rpms is this:
# virsh version Compiled against library: libvirt 1.2.10
Using library: libvirt 1.2.10
Using API: Xen 1.2.10
Running hypervisor: Xen 4.4.0
Now I get the same output from “virsh version” for both xm/xend and xl/libxl.. Earlier it would say “Xen” or “xenlight” on the “Using API” line depending which backend it was using. I guess that has changed upstream, and both backends seem to work now anyway :)