Yum Update Problem – Dependancy Problem

Home » CentOS » Yum Update Problem – Dependancy Problem
CentOS 9 Comments

I’m sure this is a FAQ, and a simple answer is available, but I’ve not managed it yet. I’ve tried all of the RPM database tidy routines. I’ve tried uninstalling the libblueray1 library but the ever growning dependency tree was too big.

For a while I’ve been updating using the command

yum -y –skip-broken –exclude rpcbind update

which I though t was working, but the list of rpm’s not updated is ever growing so i need to find a solution. Here is the output from the yum update. I’ve remove the bulk of the output for brevity but I can include it if needed.

Gary

[root@lcomp5 ~]# yum -y update Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, langpacks Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
* base: mirror.netweaver.uk
* epel: mirrors.ukfast.co.uk
* extras: mirror.netweaver.uk
* nux-dextop: mirror.li.nux.ro
* remi-safe: rpms.remirepo.net
* rpmforge: ftp.nluug.nl
* updates: repo.uk.bigstepcloud.com
* webtatic: uk.repo.webtatic.com Resolving Dependencies
–> Running transaction check
—> Package NetworkManager.x86_64 1:1.4.0-20.el7_3 will be obsoleted
—> Package NetworkManager.x86_64 1:1.4.0-20.el7_3 will be updated
—> Package NetworkManager.x86_64 1:1.8.0-9.el7 will be obsoleting
—> Package NetworkManager-adsl.x86_64 1:1.4.0-20.el7_3 will be updated
[……]
—> Package xmlsec1.x86_64 0:1.2.20-7.el7_4 will be installed
—> Package xmlsec1-openssl.x86_64 0:1.2.20-7.el7_4 will be installed
–> Running transaction check
—> Package grub2-pc-modules.noarch 1:2.02-0.64.el7.CentOS will be installed
—> Package libblkid.i686 0:2.23.2-43.el7 will be installed
—> Package webkitgtk4-plugin-process-gtk2.x86_64 0:2.14.7-2.el7 will be installed
–> Processing Dependency: /usr/sbin/ldconfig for package:
libbluray1-0.4.0-6.el7.x86_64
–> Finished Dependency Resolution Error: Package: libbluray1-0.4.0-6.el7.x86_64 (@atrpms)
Requires: /usr/sbin/ldconfig
Removing: glibc-2.17-157.el7_3.1.i686 (@updates)
Not found
Updated By: glibc-2.17-196.el7.i686 (base)
Not found You could try using –skip-broken to work around the problem You could try running: rpm -Va –nofiles –nodigest
[root@lcomp5 ~]#

9 thoughts on - Yum Update Problem – Dependancy Problem

  • When looking at your suggestions I found that the atrpms were actually disabled (enabled=0)

    I have enabled them and now it appears to be working. Although the opposite of your suggestion, thanks for the fix.

    I will remember for future installs to not use the atrpms.

    Gary

  • You have a conflicting package installed from repository @atrpms. You need to remove that package and/or disable that repository to get past the dependency issue. ‘Skip broken’ is not going to handle this situation nor will any other set of yum options.

  • Hi James,

    Thanks for this. The actual problem was that the repo had been disabled. I
    have made a note to not use atrpms in future.

    Gary

  • I don’t know. I will have installed then when following instrunctions found online. I generally check the dates on any web page I use, maybe I missed one.

    Anyway, enabling it again for this box fixed the problem.

  • Sorry to be pedantic, the symptom is fixed not the problem.

    To check which packages are from atrpms try this one:

    # rpm -qa –qf ‘%{NAME}-%{VENDOR}\n’ | grep -v CentOS

    It will list package name along with the corresponding repo tag.

    That list can then be used to plan a package migration.

  • Leon,

    There’s nothing wrong with being pedantic, and thanks for the command. It was very useful. However, for the box that has the problem, it’s not worth the time and effort involved in doing the correct fix.

    Gary

  • While you may have them disabled _now_ at some point they were enabled and so a conflicting package was installed and is now causing the issue.

    —– |> The error is actually pretty straight forward. You are using a repo
    |> (atrpms) that has not been updated in years, it’s not surprise that it
    |> finally has lost compatibility with the platform.
    |>
    |> Find a modern and up to date replacement for any packages you reference
    |> from atrpms and without the switches.
    |
    | When looking at your suggestions I found that the atrpms were actually
    | disabled (enabled=0)
    |
    | I have enabled them and now it appears to be working. Although the opposite
    | of your suggestion, thanks for the fix.
    |
    | I will remember for future installs to not use the atrpms.
    |
    | Gary
    |

LEAVE A COMMENT